5 Best Dog Guard Fences For Your Pet's Safety
While you want your pet to roam free, you need to make sure that they are secure. That’s why you need one of the five best dog guard fences for your yard. It will give you the peace of mind knowing that your pet is safe and happy while they play.
It’s 7 a.m. on a bright and sunny Saturday morning. Your dog is pawing at your pillow - eagerly waiting for you to rise from bed, slip on your shoes and bring them outside for their morning routine. They run with excitement toward the door, sprint to the yard and without hesitation, engulf themselves in the plush grass.
Rolling around, chasing bunnies into bushes and feeling the wind as it hits their fur. The great outdoors is your dog’s place of happiness.It’s no secret that for the last few months, we’ve been spending a majority of our time indoors. While I’m sure this confinement has left you, the pet owner, feeling a bit stir crazy - we can only imagine how your dog must be feeling.
Dogs were made for the outside world - to run, walk, swim and chase any animal that crosses their path. Their love for adventure and loyalty to their home, is what makes them the perfect pet.
So, if we know our pet’s thrive outside - how can we allow them to roam free while still ensuring that we are doing everything we can to protect them?
The simple answer - we install a pet friendly, dog guard fence.
Why Do I Need a Dog Fence?
Most pet owners may contemplate the idea of purchasing a fence for their dog - wondering, what exactly are the benefits and how does it keep my pet safe?In short, a dog fence allows your pet the ability to roam and explore your yard, while giving you the peace of mind knowing that they are safe and secure.Ask yourself this: How often do you find yourself watching your dog’s every move when they are playing outside?
Do you often worry about your dog jolting off into the middle of the street? Or that even though your pet is well trained, they could easily bolt from the house to chase the neighbor’s cat?These are normal worries for any dog owner to have as these instances could occur anytime you bring your pet outside. So, instead of being a ball of stress every time your dog wants to get some fresh air - doesn’t it make more sense to protect them from the start?Let’s give you a quick analogy.
Think of your own personal home and the measures you take to keep it safe. You put locks on your doors, add shutters for privacy and probably even install a home security system for extra protection.Now, think of your yard as your dog’s home. It’s the place where they want to feel safe, to be able to run around and get the exercise and fresh air they need. If that’s the case, wouldn’t you want to help them protect it at all costs? A dog guard fence is your pet’s version of home security.
So, have we sparked an interest yet? Great, then let’s give you some options of the best guard dog fences you can purchase to keep your pet safe and happy.
5 Best Dog Guard Fences To Keep Your Pet Safe
Dog Guard’s mission is to provide you with “Out of sight fencing, freedom for your pet and peace of mind for you.”They have been in business for over 25 years and all of their fences are designed, engineered and assembled in the United States. They offer a 100%, 30 day money back guarantee to their customers if you are unsatisfied with the product.
According to their website, this is how their Out of Sight Fencing works:“After your signal wire is buried to define the areas of containment, boundary flags are set up within the perimeter of the signal wire. After your system is activated, when your pet enters the reminder zone, 3 to 6 feet from the signal wire, they receive your choice of an audio signal or a mild correction stimulus, warning that they are approaching the boundary.
“Your dog will wear a specific collar that has the receiver attached in order to transit to the radio signal of the fence. The best thing about their fencing is that it is customized, so you determine where you want the boundaries to be set for your pet.Dog Guard offers the following fence options, transmitters and receivers:
- T-4 Transmitter: Can be used up to 50 acres and has dual zones that can warn your pet when they are about to reach the boundary.
- RT-2 Room Transmitter: This is used for inside the home, garage or basement to keep your pet out of certain areas. It is portable and can travel with you and your pet.
- Surge Protector: Made to keep your underground wire protected from weather or AC surges.
- DG9XT Receiver: Designed for the “medium to stubborn” and “tough to train” dogs. They recommend this device for runners such as Huskies, Labs and hunting dogs.
- DG5 Receiver: Designed for “small, timid, passive and medium sized dogs” - from 10 to 65 pounds.
- DGM4 Receiver: Made for tiny pets from 1 to 10 pounds - they offer this in both a battery and rechargeable option.
If their Out of Sight Fencing sounds like the right fit for your pet, you can find your local dealer on their website here.
Another guard dog fencing option is built by Pet Stop. They are 100% made in the USA and offer a training program for new pet owners to acclimate their dog to the fencing setup.
According to their website, “Pet Stop’s hidden electronic pet containment systems protect the beauty and open space of your yard while keeping your pet’s happy, healthy and safe at home.”Their best fencing option is the EcoLite Plus With LINK. This small, lightweight fencing option comes with a charging station and an optional night light to keep track of your pet’s location in the dark. It has an OT-3000 outdoor transmitter and includes specifications such as:
- Edge to Edge
- Stopper feature
- Easily programmable
- Gentle Steps Training
- Diagnostics Cradle
- Small in Size
- Bluetooth Connectivity
To accompany your fence, their Gentle Steps program is to help your dog understand the new boundaries in your yard. “Gentle Steps training is the modern incremental training program that reduces problems more commonly associated with traditional training by using barely perceptible levels of collar stimulation, just a tickle, during the initial training phase.”
To read more about PetStop and find a dealer near you, visit their website here.
Pet Safe is another leader in dog guard fences designed to keep your dog safe. Their reasons for choosing a pet fence over traditional fencing are:
- Pet fences are more affordable
- Easier to install
- Won’t block your view
- And, stops “escape artists” also known as your runner of a pup
This is how their dog guard fence works according to their website:
- Setup a boundary and put a receiver collar on your pet
- Pet hears a warning tone when they approach the boundary
- Feels a static correction if he tries to go past the boundary
- One fence can protect numerous pets
They offer both wireless and in ground fencing, some of the differences are:
- Wireless Fence
- Covers up to ¾ acre
- Circular boundary shape
- Set up in 1-2 hours
- In Ground Fence
- Covers Up to 25 acres
- Customizable boundary shape
- Set up in 2-3 days
Here are the product options by PetSafe:
- Stay and Play Compact Wireless Fence: $299.95, circular boundary up to ¼ acre
- Stay and Play Wireless Fence for Stubborn Dogs: $309.95, circular boundary up to ¾ acre
- YardMax Rechargeable In Ground Fence: $299.95, customizable up to 10 acres
- Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence: $199.95, customizable up to 25 acres
As a trusted provider of dog guard fencing for over 10 years, SportDog gives your dog the “Freedom to Run. Just Only So Far.”Their fencing systems are designed for sporting breeds and are a cost effective alternative to traditional fencing. Some specifications of their fences include:
- Containment Area: Kits cover 1 ⅓ acre, expandable to 100 acres
- Three Stim Types: Tone/vibe warning with multiple static stimulation levels
- Unlimited Dogs: One collar included, but can be expandable to multiple dogs
- Waterproof: Collars perform in any type of weather
Their systems work by producing a radio signal from the transmitter to the boundary wire. You can set up flags to define the boundary area for your pet. Once they reach the warning zone, they are given a beep and vibration. If they continue into what they call the “Stimulation Zone” or outside the boundary, a safe, static stimulation will be delivered through the contact points to get your dog to return to the boundary area.Here are 3 options SportDog offers:
- Contain + Train System: $419.95
- All in one containment and training system
- Includes remote for on demand training
- 7 levels of static stimulation
- Rechargeable In-Ground Fence System: $299.95
- Containment system with rechargeable collar
- Collar features 2 hour quick charge with 1-2 months of battery life
- 7 Levels of static stimulation
- In-Ground Fence System: $249.95
- Containment system with battery operated collar
- Standard 9 volt battery lasts 6-12 months
- 4 levels of static stimulation
To learn more about SportDog and shop their in ground fencing options, visit their website.
Pet Playgrounds has been developing non-electric dog fences since 2008. They produce physical, non-electric DIY dog fence kits with the option to add installation services.Their fences are made up of 12 components. According to their How it Works section, “Our fence acts as a flexible net that prevents dogs and other animals from climbing. The bottom material is flared in towards you and secured with unique ground stakes to create a dig guard.”Their fences are made of 1,100 pound break strength polypropylene mesh that is strong, yet flexible. They say that this flexibility is what prevents dogs from getting a grip and climbing over the fence.To find the best fence for your dog, Pet Playgrounds has a quick shopping process where you:
- Choose your height: 5, 6 or 7 feet with 2 or 3 layers max
- Length: Between 100 and 2,000 feet
- Gate Options
- Standard: 5 by 5 feet
- Wide: 5 by 8 feet
- Driveway: 5 by 14 feet
- DIY or Pro Installation
Once you set your metrics for your fence, Pet Playgrounds will give you a quote for either professional installation or a DIY setup. In order to determine your price, you can build your own kit on their online store, here.So, there you have it, 5 of the best dog guard fences currently on the market to help you keep your pet safe and secure while roaming outside.
And, since we’re on the topic of pet safety - did you know that here at Fursure, we offer personalized, fast and easy insurance options to help you take even better care of your pet?With our personalized pet insurance options, you’ll be able to save money on expensive medical bills and have the peace of mind that you’re covered if anything were to happen to your furry friend.To get your pet protected and covered in just a few minutes, buy a pet insurance policy today!