How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
Purchasing a pet insurance policy is the best way to protect your pet, here is how much pet insurance costs and what it covers.
The cost of pet insurance for your dog or cat is dependent on several different factors including where you live, your pet’s breed and their age. Additionally, the amount for your monthly pet insurance deductible will be determined by how much coverage you want as well as the reimbursement percentage you select.
Fursure is a team of pet insurance advisors that helps pet parents find the best insurance policy for their furry best friend and budget.
Our service is completely free to use and with our policy comparison tool, all you need to do is give us a few details with your pet and we will provide you with a list of policies to choose from.
With our professional knowledge and expertise, you can get your pet insured in just a few minutes.
When it comes to insuring your pet, we recommend that pet owners purchase insurance as soon as they bring their dog or cat home. This helps keep the insurance premium cost low, but also because as your dog ages they could potentially develop pre-existing conditions that no longer make them eligible for insurance coverage. Currently, no pet insurance companies offer coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Let’s dive deeper and talk about the cost of pet insurance and what you can expect to pay as a pet owner.
What Is The Average Cost Of Pet Insurance?
It can be difficult to give pet owners a specific number when answering the question:
How much does pet insurance cost?
According to Value Penguin, these are the current facts and figures regarding the average cost of pet insurance in 2021:
“The average monthly cost of pet insurance is $48.78 for dogs and $29.16 for cats. These are for plans that cover both accidents and illnesses. The range of average pet insurance for dogs is $25 to $70 and $10 to $40 for cats.”
This would mean that the average annual cost for pet insurance for a dog is around $585 for dogs and $350 for cats.
Generally, pet insurance is affordable in comparison to the costs associated with emergency medical care for your pet.
Considering that pet insurance is the best way to make sure you can always afford to take care of your pet, the cost of your monthly deductible is considered pretty low in the grand scheme of things. Veterinary care, especially treatments that are needed because of an accident or illness, can easily cost pet owners thousands to tens of thousands of dollars.
What Does Pet Insurance Cover?
The cost of your pet insurance plan depends on the coverage you receive. Pet insurance companies will offer different types of plans for you to choose from and depending on which you select will determine how much coverage you have and the cost.
There are 4 types of typical pet insurance plans, here is a quick breakdown of each:
Accident & Illness
- This plan covers treatment and any care related to an accident or illness.
- It does not cover wellness visits, routine care or preexisting conditions.
- This plan will cover emergency accidental care such as getting hit by a car, foreign object ingestion or eating something toxic.
- It does not cover pre-existing conditions, illnesses or breed specific issues. It also does not cover wellness visits and check ups.
Accident Illness with Wellness
- This plan covers all types of treatment - whether that be routine wellness, accidents or injuries.
- It does not cover pre-existing conditions.
- This plan can cover services such as annual checkups and routine vet visits, vaccinations/booster shots, and teeth cleaning.
- It is typically an add-on to an accident-illness plan.
The coverage plan you choose will ultimately be up to your discretion. It truly depends on your pet and what you can afford. As you can see, the most obvious comprehensive insurance coverage plan would be the accident-illness plan that also covers wellness check ups and procedures.
How Does Pet Insurance Save You Money At The Veterinarian?
In order to save money at the veterinarian, you will purchase your pet insurance plan, bring your pet to the veterinarian, pay for their treatment at the time of the visit and submit a claim for reimbursement.
Depending on the pet insurance plan you choose, you will be reimbursed a percentage of your out-of-pocket costs minus the deductible.
Your policy will have all the details about how the provider handles reimbursements. It's important to read over this prior to purchasing to make sure you are selecting the right plan for your pet’s situation.
If reading through policy documents isn’t your thing, our team at Fursure is here to help. Since we do all the research for you, just ask one of our team members to explain your policy to you.
What Factors Affect The Price Of Your Pet Insurance?
While the pet insurance plan you choose will affect how much you end up paying each month, there are other factors to consider.
*It’s important to remember that no pet insurance company currently covers pre-existing conditions*
Here are the 4 factors that affect the price of your pet insurance:
- Your Location: The cost of veterinary care varies from state to state. Therefore, the price you would pay in Florida differs from what you would pay in New York City.
- Your Pet’s Breed: While cats are usually less expensive to insure than dogs, the breed of your pet also contributes to how much your insurance plan will cost. If your pet’s breed is predisposed to certain medical conditions or illnesses, their insurance plan will be more expensive.
- Your Pet’s Age: The younger your pet is at the time of purchasing your plan, the more affordable it will be. This is because as pets age, the number of medical issues they may have rises which means higher vet costs and a more expensive insurance premium.
- Deductible and Reimbursement Level: Your reimbursement percentage affects the rate you will pay each month. A higher deductible will lower the cost of your plan, but will increase your out-of-pocket costs at the veterinarian. A lower deductible will increase your plan’s price, but you will pay less upfront and be reimbursed more on your claims.
How To Pay For Your Pet Insurance Plan
Now that you know how much pet insurance costs, let’s talk about how you can get rewarded for paying your pet insurance deductible each month.
With Fursure’s rewards debit card, the Fursure Card, you’ll get rewarded when you spend on your pet. With every purchase, you’ll receive points that can be used toward veterinary care for your pet. This can help you cover out-of-pocket costs before your reimbursement kicks in.
It’s the first debit card for pet owners that rewards you for all the wonderful things you already do for your best friend.
To learn more, sign up here for your free rewards debit card.
Is Pet Insurance Worth It?
So, is pet insurance worth it? Pet insurance is worth it for the majority of pet owners.
Unless you have thousands of dollars readily available to pay for unexpected veterinarian care, pet insurance is the right choice in order to make sure your pet is protected and you can always afford to take care of them. With the right policy, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you can give your pet the best treatment possible if anything were to ever happen.